Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Class Leads: Whuz tat?

Title: Class Lead
Definition: one person selected to represent their class.

Job Description
Interview potential applicants of that class, Advise others of the class as needed, make raid drafting recommendations, set raid requirements for the class, diplomat between class and raidleaders as needed. During raids one of of the healing class leads (priest, pally, druid, shaman) will take on the role of a healing lead directing, assigning healers to various groups and making sure coverage is good. Raid leaders know that in every raid there is 1 healing leader typing out orders in the background so they don't bother to assign healings.

Class leads are very important for big guilds as these people are selected from thier guild as the point person for all questions relating to thier class. Being the best priest won't win you the class lead slot. This position is usually given to someone who is well liked, good with people, a respected member, and knowledgeable about thier class, not afraid to stand up to raid leaders, gm. They're a buffer of sorts.

How did I get my class lead slot? (Me as the last priest class lead)
1.) needs to be a main .. no one will stand for an alt being class lead while the main goes raiding on his mage.

There were 3 competitors! zomg "G" was an up and coming raid leader, "S" was a strong advocate of S. Priests and lastly myself "E" a quiet person who knew her stuff. The others were too polar for the spot. "G" has a habit of offending some while getting his point accross, "S" well we all know his view .. it's shadowform or nothing. Lastly myself as "E" my easy going nature meant I got along with most of the officers, other leads, raid leaders, GM, and the guild. knowledgeable about my class .. i dunno there are at least 3-5 more knowledgable than me in all areas lol.

Anyways I had the stamp of approval from the previous class lead. HEh i guess I had the personality for the spot and learned the rest asap.

The piont of a class lead is that sometimes the class has an issue and instead of going to the GM or officer they go to thier lead..this is to free up the officers for bigger matters.

Otherwise I've organized our class forum's postings into 2 main stickies.
1.) Raid List who is cleared to raid what instance and armory link to thier gear - this way raid leaders can draft w/o waiting for feedback from me. I work so can't be online to answer stuff.

2.) Raid requirements (it's long but I did some research and came up with numbers that our priestly members need to meet before they start raiding. Basically i took a hardcore raiding guild's numbers and down ranked it a bit. This was so sucessful that our hunter lead copied it lol and i'm sure Raid leaders appreciate having all the info at thier finger tips so there were no more drafting mistakes of under geared people

3.) Library - links to reading material on specs, theory crafting, raids, you name it. This reading info would cover everything you can think of to ask your class lead .. so when i'm offline which is plenty people know where to go to get the info.

Guild hiarchy is sometimes like a goverment or company:
GM> Officers >Raid Leaders/Class Leaders>Members
CEO>Vice Presidents>Board of Directors>Department Heads>Employee
President>Cabinet Members>Senators>Govenors>Mayor>Citizens


------------------------------------------------
update: 8/26/08

I am now a retired class lead and have been since the guild rerolled a few months ago.. as the lowest leveled main and nonraider I stay away from suggestions comments and anything along the lines of advice. There is no way in hell any guild can have a class lead who does not raid there is only so much you can do from theory and it seeds resentment among the raider priests how they can have a lead who won't raid yet tells them how to raid. As non raider and lowbie .. i get to do whatever I want and not get drawn into the drama.

Anyways .. i point people in reading directions if they ask otherwise I just do my own thing. you know that is what it means to be retired. lol i guess i'm really in a special group .. i'll never be the average player even if i am the lowest level main. So I get asked for advice every now and then and now i'm an retired advisor since people are getting comfortable in thier class slots.

If needed they can even look up my old posts as class lead .. which i wrote up so all questions can be answer w/o me being online. Okies updated .. they took the old site oflfine. Ah well I'll recreate it here later

No comments: